Primarily a writing exercise, this dream journal-inspired blog is a quiet introspective sojourn into the process that we traverse in going from private dream to public art. I see our dreaming as an internalized mythmaking. As I philosophize and expressively exhibit dreams, both private and public, I encourage and delight in creative language as a way to practice experiential metaphors through a “public dreaming." Writing Theory: Creative Dream Fiction

Monday 10 October 2011

Reclusion at the End of a Plank on the Amazon River

A City on a Rock by Eugenic Lucas


In the dream I am being chased down, my location is under watch for committing criminal activity, however it is unknown to me exactly what I have done. All that I know is that I am in reclusion, finding myself buried deep inside what appears to be the Amazon rainforest. I can see the sides of the river as I have visited them in my past, along the Pacaya-Samira banks of the Maranon. I find my home in the neighborhood of Belen in Iquitos, where I once followed a young brazil-nut merchant in downtown Iquitos to her sick mother's home along creaking, thin wooden planks above the river that served as walkways between homes in the poorest neighborhood. I am now living, there, at the very end of the neighborhood, and there is a shrouding mist about in the opaque, dark fog that surround with an edge of a kind of fire as if I live on the cusp between Earth and Hell. One day, I lead an investigator into my crimes to my home, he sees where I live and feels sorry enough for me that he intends to let me serve my sentence out there rather than have him go through the procedures of bringing me in. I am transported to that little girl's home again, feeling through my dream, a subjective perspective on the imprisoned nature of poverty in a place overcrowded with the starkly opposing reality of a bitter environment, wherein nature itself has made a deal with the devil and lives dankly through the spindly fibers of a human community holding onto Life while experiencing an all-penetrating social malaise.

No comments:

Post a Comment