Primarily a writing exercise, this dream journal-inspired blog is a quiet introspective sojourn into the process that we traverse in going from private dream to public art. I see our dreaming as an internalized mythmaking. As I philosophize and expressively exhibit dreams, both private and public, I encourage and delight in creative language as a way to practice experiential metaphors through a “public dreaming." Writing Theory: Creative Dream Fiction

Thursday 5 April 2012

First dream from a Jew in Space


"I am Santiago Bar. I'm 26 years old and I work as a cook. Who would have said that I would end up doing this job?"

- from the 1st Dream Sequence in "Jews in Space" by Gabriel Lichtmann
_____________

I observe a cousin of mine who’s recently lost her grandmother as the centerpiece of a Japanese talk show. The television studio set is behind me as I watch her interviewed in a fashion befitting an American teen superstar. She sits next to a Japanese keyboardist as they begin playing some flashy pop music. My eyes zoom into the fingers of the keyboardist flying across the keys with exceptional agility. In mid-song he invites me to sit, after which the audience watches our duet. There is an overwhelming sense of anticipated incestuous romance between my cousin and me from the unusually silent excitement of the teeming crowd. 
____________

Curiously enough, this film is about an anticipated romance of a kind between two Jewish cousins, which my dream points to here as well, interestingly cross-hatched by an overall dramascape of show biz. 

"To dream of an affectionate correspondence with one's cousin denotes a fatal rupture between families." (iDream)
___________

to drive and arrange to meet
the feeding

worldly and distanced
urge to the fair

agreement with curse,
breathing childish meaning

to sink anxiously into a night felt
to create feeling,

why, discouraged?
blink kindly

- excerpt from "Snaking back into the Staff"



No comments:

Post a Comment